Re: [TowerTalk] Help w/ Hy-Gain TH-6

To: "Mark Ketchell" <k5er@arrl.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Help w/ Hy-Gain TH-6
From: "Jim Hargrave" <w5ifp@gvtc.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 19:26:32 -0000
I would like to add my own variation to Marks findings.

I have a TH6DXX on the tower and a TH3 in storage. My Son-n-Law uses a TH5.
All three of these beams have pigtails made from Plastic covered Braided
wire with solder terminals on each end instead of the solid copper wire. The
TH6DXX and the TH5 both have HyGain baluns, whereas the TH3 was initially
installed with the coax coil and the end stripped resulting in a 7 3/4 in
pigtail on the ends. This coax end dimension is also reflected in my TH6
manual.

I personally think the slight variation in the length of the balun and beta
tube pigtails is more for mechanical convenience rather than a critical
tuning requirement.

Mark: I'm still not going to climb that tower...unless something
breaks..(:->

   * 73's Jim W5IFP *