Re: [TowerTalk] MOVs in Stackmatch

To: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] MOVs in Stackmatch
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 17:44:10 -0400

Pete Smith wrote:
> I am repairing a Stackmatch that was damaged by voltage induced on
> the control lines by a nearby lightning hit.  Most of the traces
> going from the terminal strip to the hot side of the MOVs protecting
> the relay coils are gone.  Do MOVs fail open or closed?
The straight answer is ...Yes.
MOVs fail in both modes.  Typically I've seen the smaller ones do both
depending on the strength of the surge.
All of the large ones failed leaving nothing but a pair of leads where
they used to be located.

GE had a fairly large manual that included the theory of operation,
manufacture, and use of MOVs. It may be on-line, but I've never looked
for it.  The book is in the large format about the size of QST but of
much heavier paper and maybe a 1/2" thick.
http://www.eeel.nist.gov/817/pubs/spd-anthology/files/Superalpha.pdf is
similar and most likely a lot more than you ever wanted to know about
Varistors/MOVs.

73

Roger (K8RI)