Re: [TowerTalk] utility poles with steps

To: Rudy Severns <n6lf@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] utility poles with steps
From: John Kemker <john@kemker.org>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 12:47:59 -0400
Check out Bass Pro Shops or Cabela's for the steps.  Deer hunters use
them for hang-on stands all the time.  I don't think they're galvanized,
but powder-coated, instead.  You can also get "climbing sticks" that
strap or chain on to the pole and can be removed to eliminate the
"attractive nuisance" factor when you're not using it.  I'd probably put
the steps on no lower than 10 ft from the ground, then use a climbing
stick when I needed to climb the pole.

When climbing ANY tower or pole, I'd strongly urge some form of
fall-arresting gear.  Preferably a full-body harness and man-rated rope.

Rudy Severns wrote:
> Many years ago (at least 40) I had a pole installed but before erecting it,
> I installed the galvanized steel screw-in steps which used to be common.  I
> could then climb the pole without spurs or a bucket lift.
>
> However, I haven't seen any of these steps for many years.  I don't know if
> they are still available.  I got mine for free but today they might be
> expensive if available.  I would not advise using any home made steps.  It's
> a long way down with a sudden stop at the bottom.
>
> 73, Rudy N6LF
--JohnK
73 de W5NNH
10X 75371/M&M 117/SMIRK 6185/Six Club 285/TRA 2499/Norcross 228 F&AM

---
Virus Database (VPS): 090603-0, 06/03/2009
Tested on: 6/4/2009 12:48:00 PM