Re: [TowerTalk] DAVIS RF response: Alternatives & Comscope SFX-500 data

To: "Steve Davis -Davis RF Co." <sdavis@davisrf.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] DAVIS RF response: Alternatives & Comscope SFX-500 data vs. LMR & LDF4
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 13:41:10 -0400

Steve Davis -Davis RF Co. wrote:
> Hi Joe and others,
>
> Here is your loss data (below).  Not sure how this will reproduce on TT, so,
> for ref.,  the .5 MHz = .065,   the 10 MHz = .293;      30  = .512, etc.
>
>  Although Commscope is a well built cable, Andrew and LMR are also very well
> built as likely you know.  Often, for various reasons, Heliax (LDF, etc) is
> overkill for hams and more costly.  By overkill, I am not referring to
> attenuation, as often the alternative choices are very close to same
> attenua.  Overkill is as to the extra strength (and cost vs. comparable LMR)
> of Heliax (for hauling up very high commercial towers) and crush resistance
> (if you plan to drive your car over it day in day out... HI).
I always thought that LDF-4 was a lot more fragile than the LMR series
with the exception of the small stuff like the 240 series. I found it
kinked much easier with normal handling around the shop or hauling up
the tower. 7/8" OTOH was pretty rugged ...and heavy. I use the LMR-600
for almost everything, not because I need it on HF, but as  I use it on
VHF and UHF I decided to use it where ever I could.   This means I only
need a couple of connectors types and when purchasing there is usually a
substantial difference in price when purchasing 1000'.

I use the LMR-600 from the rigs to the tower and up the tower. I use the
Davis BuryFlex for pigtails and feed lines to the slopers although I do
use CNT240 to the 40 meter slopers, but that is probably going to get
changed to a good quality RG-8X with braid plus foil shield, at least
for a trial. I'm using BuryFlex to the 75 meter slopers and may end up
using it to those on 75 as well.

I had two runs of LDF-4 and gave them away. Had it been 7/8" I'd have
used it.

The station(s) here in a constant state of change, so there's no
guarantee as to what I'll end up with out there.

73

Roger (K8RI)