Re: [TowerTalk] Chicken Wire Ground Screen

To: GALE STEWARD <k3nd@yahoo.com>, TowerTalk Reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Chicken Wire Ground Screen
From: Lee Buller <k0wa@swbell.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 10:42:32 -0700 (PDT)
Chicken wire is not a good idea.  Why?  The wire corrodes where it is tied
together and creates a junction that has a higher resistance.  After awhile you
have a ground plane full of little resistors.  I've experienced that it (the
chicken wire)  can create a "noise" factor into the antenna system because of
these junctions.  I have found (following published findings of others) the 32
to 35 radials are good enough and that anything over that has diminishing
returns and might not be worth the work and expense.  Yes, 60 radials seems to
be the "gold standard" but I've seen very little return in going from 32 to 35
radials to 60 radials.

Your Mileage May Vary.....

Lee k0WA

 The New Kansas QSO Party - August 29, Sat 9am-9pm and August 30 Sun 9am-3pm
CDT
More Info at:  http://www.ksqsoparty.org/

In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you don't
have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you can't find
any Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.  Is
Common Sense divine?