[TowerTalk] Protecting Hardware And Ring Lugs

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Protecting Hardware And Ring Lugs
From: Gerry <wd5aam@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 18:08:29 -0500
Hi,

I'm using a DX Engineering radial plate with radials that tie to the
plate with 1/4" SST hardware. I have sealed each ring lug, bolt, and
hardware on the topside of the plate with liquid electrical tape. I've
noticed that this is deteriorating because of the heat/humidity and UV
rays here in Austin, Texas. The liquid tape is cracking/splitting and
also lifting up off of the SST radial plate.

I've found Star Brite liquid electrical tape on some marine websites,
but the specs only say it's UV proof. I'm wondering what temperature
extremes it's also good for.

Do any of you have some suggestions about what to use to seal the radial
wires/hardware to the radial plate?

Regards,
Gerry Moravec - WD5AAM