Re: [TowerTalk] Single point ground

To: towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Single point ground
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 05:43:25 -0500
It pains me to see hams with imperfect above-ground shack locations
thinking about installing hundreds of dollars' worth of Polyphasers in
pursuit of the wrong Holy Grail -- 24/7 antenna availability.

My shack is on the second floor.  Fifteen years ago, after a lot of
thought, I decided that I would not be able to get a low-enough ground
inductance, and decided to go another route.  I simply disconnect all
the conductors coming from the tower at the shack entry panel.  Three
years ago, I took a direct hit on my 40m yagi.  The barrel connectors in
the entry panel arced (very loud, scary noise) but nothing went any further.

I'm aware of the theoretical possibility of bonding everything in the
shack to a common ground, so that the whole thing rises above earth
ground during an "event" and then subsides, presumably without damage.
I'm not willing to risk it.  30 seconds unplugging three coax cables and
6 control cables seemed (and seems today) like a more reliable solution.

73, Pete N4ZR
New Articles Daily - the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com