Re: [TowerTalk] Single point ground

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Single point ground
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 14:59:08 -0600
>>It pains me to see hams with imperfect above-ground shack locations
>>thinking about installing hundreds of dollars' worth of Polyphasers in
>>pursuit of the wrong Holy Grail -- 24/7 antenna availability.

Correct.  I often get the feeling a lot of hams think that
broadcasters and other professionals work in this bullet proof utopia
of immunity to direct hits.  Not true.  They do indeed take several
good and sometimes costly steps to reduce damage and often do operate
through a hit but sooner or later, everyone takes some storm damage.
But they have to be running, and they usually can afford to replace
expensive equipment.  A ham doesn't have to be on the air all the
time, therefore it makes no sense to take the risk of having to
replace a multi-thousand dollar transceiver, however, reasonable and
less costly precautions like disconnecting equipment are fine.

73

Rob
K5UJ