Re: [TowerTalk] IN SEARCH OF PVC Tubing to Bury...

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] IN SEARCH OF PVC Tubing to Bury...
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 19:34:53 -0500

WA3GIN wrote:
> Sorry,  I forgot to mention the distance was 1500ft.  That is a lot PVC glue
> ;-)

And you use glue...why?
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/cablebox.htm  In the run to the
house I did use glue, but all the others have no glue.  The conduit was
cut long enough to be under pressure and each connection with "greased"
with DC-4 (or 5) compound.  Even though buried shallow in an area with a
high water table in the spring, there has been no water egress into the
conduit.

There is another run of 1" conduit (for the CAT-6 network cable) not
shown that runs between the garage and shop about 10-15' to the right of
the junction box on the side of the shop. That conduit also does not use
any glue.  I found the silicone grease allows the conduit to fully mate
and seal. How well that would work on a 1500 foot run would be difficult
to tell.

As for the actual PVC glue.  You can get it in every thing from a few
ounces to well over a pint.  It takes very little make a connection.
Just a single swipe of the brush all the way around the male end.  Best
to get too much glue as too little.  It like the grease aids in fully
mating the pieces and with the glue there is no second chance! Once it
goes together it's done whether fully mated or only a quarter the way.
Where ever it stops is permanent. <:-)) Due to the characteristics of
the conduit it's almost impossible to test fit the pieces together and
then glue them. With out the glue or grease I've never been able to get
them together.

> <snip>.
>

>> Hardware store... grey electrical plastic conduit.  A 10 foot x 1" stick
>> will cost about $2.00.

In my case it's two or three sizes larger and sooner or later I'll need
to add another run. <:-))
>> BTW, always put in at least one size bigger than you think you'll ever
>> need.  And, once the ditch is open... put in a spare conduit, too.
>>
>> It's recommended that you drill drain holes at the lowest point of the
>> run.  I've done it both with and without drain holes.
I did that with the original run to the house, but since then I've not
bothered.
>>  In fact, I just
>> pulled out a 10 gauge 4 conductor run from some conduit in preparation
>> to pulling in 6 gauge wire....  the 10 gauge was bone dry and it's been
>> down there for at least a year without any drain holes.
>>
>> John KE7JA

KE7? You changed calls?
>> WA3GIN wrote:
>>
>>> ...fiber line from house to ham shack/antenna controller.

Which reminds me, don't forget to install a messenger cable as you
assemble the conduit run. It's really difficult to *PUSH* 1500 feet of
the stuff through a pipe.

73 and good Luck,

Roger (K8RI)
>>> Source suggestions welcome,