Re: [TowerTalk] IN SEARCH OF PVC Tubing to Bury...

To: richard@karlquist.com, "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] IN SEARCH OF PVC Tubing to Bury...
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 20:54:17 -0500

Rick Karlquist wrote:
> I bought 1000 ft of 1 inch thinwall sprinkler PVC pipe
> at Home Depot fairly cheaply in 20 ft lengths.  I am
> planning to slip it over a run of hardline to protect
> the aluminum jacket.
>
> Someone mentioned black poly "pipe".  Not sure what
> you were referring to,
Here the city uses it for runs from the water main into the house.  They
use the same type of equipment to lay gas lines. The water line comes in
3/4", 1", 1 1/4", and 1 1/2". I don't know if it comes any larger or
not.  You don't often see it, but most hardware stores, and even big box
stores have it...some where.  Shop around as I'm sure this is one of
those items with a price that varies widely. It's sorta like the PVC
conduit, but softer and a LOT *longer*.  It's a good idea to work with
it on warm or even hot days.  It tends to flatten out a bit,
particularly in the larger sizes when you unroll it.  It comes in rolls
up to 1000'. Great stuff for network cable runs as well as small coax
such as RG-6 and 8X.

Just ask for a coil of 1" water line. The larger sizes might be harder
to find.

Oh! I drop a mothball or two into the junction boxes on each end.  Keeps
the creepy crawlers out. It the larger, fur covered ones get in, it just
keeps my cat fed and he's one big cat!

Personally I don't like the corrugated tile, but maybe that's just
because after having a farm for 50 plus years I've kinda grown to
dislike working with the stuff although the current crop stands up
better than the old tile.

And John is right, the vacuum and mouse is a good way to get a messenger
line into a fairly long run...as long as it doesn't make any sharp
turns.  Some one suggested using 2 45's instead of a 90 which is what I
do with large and small conduit.  It just makes life so much easier.

73

Roger (K8RI)