Re: [TowerTalk] Shack wiring

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shack wiring
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 14:35:45 -0700
On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 12:40:58 EDT, HansLG@aol.com wrote:

>This is the reason I added protectors to my telephones, especially the
>cordless and the answering machine. As the phone wires are not next to the
>power  wires, there is a high possibility you end up with a major voltage
>difference  between the telephone wires an the house wires.

The proper solution for this is BONDING the grounds at the telephone block
and cable tv entrance and your shack to the power system ground with short
fat copper. If you don't bond those grounds together, the surge suppressors
are more likely to CAUSE damage rather than prevent it.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC