Re: [TowerTalk] Shack wiring

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shack wiring
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 16:11:08 -0700
Jim Brown wrote:

> As to the IEEE -- I have the Green Book and the Emerald Book, which are their
> Standards on Power and Grounding. Both were written before the development of
> series mode surge suppression, and neither of them considers equipment at
> different locations that has low voltage interconnections.

the newer Emerald books are substantially different than the older ones
(for one thing, they don't say "sensitive electronic equipment" any
more... the mfrs complained that they didn't want their equipment being
thought of as "sensitive")

IEEE 1100-2005 recommended practice for Powering and Grounding
Electronic Equipment.

(there might be a newer one coming out.. I think it's every 6 years or so)

Section 4.8 is all about single point grounds, signal reference systems,
etc.

Section 4.10 on surge suppressors is pretty sketchy, dealing only with
the various shunt mode devices.

I like Standler's book on this topic.  he covers series mode transient
suppression, the problems with shunt mode (e.g. inducing a transient
after the suppressor by induction, etc.)