Re: [TowerTalk] TV antennas on HF towers

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TV antennas on HF towers
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 08:28:06 -0700
On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 19:49:46 -0400, Ryan Jairam wrote:

>I operate at around 800 watts and there's no interference on my TVs.

>This is my TV antenna setup -

>2 x Channel Master 4228 (16 bay bow tie array, with a reflective screen)
>for UHF
>Winegard YA1713 Yagi for VHF 7-13
>Antennacraft 10G212 30dB preamp

I have the same result from a similar setup -- one of those 4228 antennas
(8 bow ties in a 4x2 array) on a 20 ft mast just outside my shack feeding
a Zenith DTV converter to a Channel Master preamp feeding a late 90s
vintage Panasonic analog TV. No TVI, even from 1.5kW into the 160M
vertical, only 20 ft away! The only "filtering" is in the form of coaxial
ferrite chokes on all the antenna cables, including the coax coming from
the 4228. My "local" channels are all more than 40 miles away, and two
are high-band VHF (8 and 13). Most interesting is that the VHF signals
are the most solid (less breakup from fading) than the UHF signals, even
though it's a UHF antenna!

If you install anything and run into trouble, the first thing to do is
add one or more ferrite chokes just ahead of the first RF stage tuned to
the ham frequencies that cause interference.

73,

Jim K9YC