[TowerTalk] thrust bearing lubrication

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] thrust bearing lubrication
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 07:00:09 -0700
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 11:56:14 EDT
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] thrust bearing lubrication

In a message dated 5/18/2010 8:39:28 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
Brahmangou@aol.com writes:

>  Unlubricated bearings? Maybe the reason you are wearing out  the races.
I use Moly grease on all of mine, no problems yet. Every bearing  needs
lubrication, even old windmills from 100 years ago have oilers, and  windmills
only turn at about 75 rpm. Where I live dust and dirt above 50 feet  is not a
problem, maybe in West Texas or Arizona the big dust storms could  deposit
enough to make a difference.

    The Rohn thrust bearing isn't a conventional  bearing in the sense
you're talking about above. It turns at 1 RPM. The  manufacturer says does not
say to grease it.

 The LXC Prime Directive  says to "DO what the manufacturer
says."

### it's a good thing I don't follow that rule.  All my F-12 ants
would have fallen apart by now.. amps blown up, xcvr's that
are below par.. and require loads of mods etc, etc.

 In this case, do not grease the Rohn  TB.

## Ok.. so what does rohn suggest you do then.... replace the poorly
engineered  TB3/4  every 6 x months  ??
 IMO... it's a way over priced piece of junk. Now, if you take it all apart,
remove the balls... smooth out the race.. lube both the raceS and the
balls.. and perhaps put a rain cover over the top of it....it will last a lot
longer.
If that set screw was replaced with a grease nipple fitting, we would not be
having
this conversation.

## use no grease in  the wheel bearings on your car.. and poof, they won't last
2 x days.   It baffles me why manufacturer's  keep  making the same junk year
in and out.... like TB-3/4's... W2AU baluns,   BN-86 baluns, toy rotor's, lousy
coax connectors you can't solder to, xcvr's with 15 % thd  1.5 watt audio amps,
lousy headsets, yagi's that fall apart, yagis  that have gross torque imbalance,
rotor mast clamps that slip, and/or loosen.... muffler clamps with useless
sheet metal saddles, muffler clamps that rust.  The list is a mile long.

##  'do what the manufacturer says' .... sometimes.... but only if they have
engineered the product correctly.  A buddy just bought  190' of Rohn 55g.
None of the sections fit..and all of em..so far have had to be re-drilled.
Quality control has gone out the window.

Later..., Jim  VE7RF