Re: [TowerTalk] re installing my hdxmdpl72 question on rebar

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] re installing my hdxmdpl72 question on rebar
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 09:04:00 -0700
When I see specs like that it always makes me think that the
manufacturer does it on purpose to limit their liability, knowing that
almost nobody is going to actually going to follow the print.

The engineering drawing (available from the manufacture's web site) for
my 72 foot heavy duty AN Wireless HD-70 self supporting tower calls for
a 9' by 9' by 5' concrete foundation (15 yards of concrete if you dig a
perfect hole) with a rebar cage using nothing more than #4 and #5 rebar
(albeit quite a lot of it).  If AN Wireless can do it, UST should be
able to as well.

Most of the time those drawings are generated by outside PEs, of course,
and UST may have simply selected one that was more familiar with highway
construction where #9 rebar is more common.  Still, you'd think that UST
would have at least some interest in having a more user-friendly drawing.

73,
Dave   AB7E