Re: [TowerTalk] Baluns/tutorial/notes.

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Baluns/tutorial/notes.
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 08:17:07 -0700
On Sat, 22 May 2010 15:08:50 +0100, Steve Hunt wrote:

>Given the importance of having resistive (lossy) chokes, I wonder how
>you determine the phase angle using your test set-up?

I showed that in my tutorial. I plot the curve of Z vs frequency, then do
curve fitting for the parallel resonant circuit to get values of R, L,
and C. Not as elegant as a VNA, but it works. :)  This works for #43
(NiZn) without modification, but for #31 (MnZn), which can have two very
broad resonant peaks with a lot of turns, one must attempt to fit two
curves, one on the low end and one on the high end. The result is a very
rough approximation. See the early section of the tutorial where I showed
that the equivalent circuit is two parallel resonant circuits in series,
showed that some materials have both, some have only one, and then
compared #43 with #31.

As a very rough approximation, we can assume that the choke is
predominantly resistive if the Z is within about 30% of its peak value.

73,

Jim K9YC