Re: [TowerTalk] Baluns/tutorial/notes.

To: Tower Talk List <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Baluns/tutorial/notes.
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 18:51:14 +0100
Jim,

Thanks for the clarification. As you say: "He who never made a mistake
never made anything".

I remain puzzled by what you just said about the flux in the cores of
N:1 Current Baluns. Any analysis I've done shows that the flux in one or
more of the cores *must* be determined directly by the Differential Mode
signal. Only in a 1:1 current balun is the flux solely dependent on the
Common-Mode signal.

A simplistic way of looking at it is to take a 4:1 current balun
comprising two 1:1 baluns connected in parallel at the input and in
series at the output. For a differential voltage applied across the
input of V, the voltage across the load will be 2V. The extra "V" has to
be developed somewhere, and it is by "voltage transformer" action in one
or more of the cores.

I sketched the voltages here for a floating load:
http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/temp/4%20to%201%20current%20balun.png

Excuse the rough drawing. That example is the most benign situation,
where the differential-mode signal is split equally between the cores.
There's V/2 across each core, and that directly drives the core flux.

If you try another load-balance configuration - for example ground the
"top" of the load - you'll find a much more extreme situation. In that
example you'll get V across one core and 2V across the other - that's a
worse condition than a 4:1 voltage balun! Ground the "bottom" of the
load and you will get V across the top core and 0 across the bottom.

No matter how the load is balanced or unbalanced wrt ground, there is
always that "extra V" being developed by voltage transformer action on
one or more of the cores .......

.... I believe ;)

73,
Steve G3TXQ