Re: [TowerTalk] Baluns/tutorial/notes.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Baluns/tutorial/notes.
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 08:43:24 -0400
On 5/22/2010 4:10 AM, Ian White GM3SEK wrote:

>> I'm still puzzled why Jim (K9YC) was questioning the accuracy of
>> the Balun Designs impedance data. The chart shown here:
>> http://www.balundesigns.com/catalog/1-1%205kw%20Choking%20Impedance.jpg
>>  doesn't seem to contain impedances that would cause significant
 >> errors on the AIM.
>
> But only if the AIM has been calibrated correctly! I don't feel
> comfortable with CM choke measurements until the operator has shown
> that he is aware of these issues, has taken the appropriate
> precautions and has proved out his test setup at the 10k level.

I'm also concerned with equipment/software that would display SWR
of less than 1:1.  Either the equipment/software designer does not
understand SWR (in which case I would not trust the results shown
by the equipment) or the operator does not know what he's doing
(and again the results can not be trusted).

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV