Re: [TowerTalk] Heights aluminum tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Heights aluminum tower
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 21:17:35 -0400

On 8/15/2010 7:11 PM, R. Kevin Stover wrote:
> Steve,
>
> The thing that makes a self supporting tower self supporting is the big
> block of rebar reinforced concrete under it. Adding guys to a self
> supporting tower may actually make it fail because of loads introduced
> by the guys that were never intended by the manufacturer.

This really isn't what he asked. If I interpreted his post correctly,
he's asking about installing temporary guys to eliminate the tower sway
while working on it.  If the Phillystran guys are tensioned just enough
to eliminate the sway, it should add little vertical load and very
little pull on the legs. "As long as the additional vertical load plus
the weight being added does not exceed the tower's ratings" I see no
problem with it. The tower has a maximum vertical load which should be
in its ratings.

I would not leave the temporary guys in place except during work.

Guyed towers use a "yoke around the tower" to take the side pull rather
than the legs (like most hams attach them.)  A yoke could be constructed
for this tower as well, but with care as it must not add any bending
moment, or cut into the tower legs. But again, it's temporary.
I'd certainly not use steel in this instance.

When ever I add sections to a tower they go up with light weight,
temporary guys on them  http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/work.htm
. Yes this was before full climbing harness.  Note the temp guys from
the section I'm on and from the top of the new section which hang almost
straight down.  These make the sections rock solid when climbing, but
they certainly would not be sufficient for a windy day with anything on
the tower.

73

Roger (K8RI)