Re: [TowerTalk] Preferred Come Along or Puller?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Preferred Come Along or Puller?
From: "Ron W8RJL" <youngron@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 23:09:04 -0400
If the rotor has been removed and the bottom of the mast is accessible we
have used a pulley device (homemade) that fits in the end of the mast. When
installed it is a pulley firmly attached to the bottom of the mast. Next the
steel cable/rope is attached to one side of the tower above the bottom of
the mast, cable/rope runs down through the upside down pulley back up to a
pulley attached to the other side of the tower, then down to a pulley at the
base, and then out horizontal to the ground crew who will pull on the
cable/rope.  This works very nicely because the forces are exerted directly
on the bottom of the mast lifting it up.  If the bottom of the mast is not
open you can use a clamp to attach a pulley to the side of the bottom of the
mast. This will also work but the lifting force is slightly off center.  I
prefer using pulleys to a come-along for safety reasons.   73, Ron W8RJL