[TowerTalk] FW: Divining rods

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: Divining rods
From: "David J. Sourdis - HK1A" <hk1kxa@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 11:15:05 -0500
I did two "L"  out of an old coat hanger wire. About 6" for the handles and 30"
for long part of the wire L.
Take one on each hand as  an inverted L , being the vertical part of the
inverted L, the 6" handles, the long parts of the Ls should be horizontal,
parallel and looking in the same direction you are walking on. When there is an
underground discontinuity made of water the Ls will tend to rotate to the
center, making the 30 inch sides cross each other. Even if you rotate your
wrists to the outside (right wrist going clockwise, opposite for left), making
the rods to move upwards on an inclined plane, the rods will rotate to the
center overcoming the pull of gravity for small inclinations. I could locate
the positions of the corners of an old sewer system well in my backyard with
this rods. Not a good place to put a tower, hihi
More interestingly: I did the rods from a book about Pyramids ("The magical
powers of the pyramid" is the translation of the spanish title). Using thin
cardboard, I made a scaled version of the Gizah pyramids, about three inches
high and a second one about three times that size.
When the rods where moved at belly height over one of the pyramids sitting on
the floor, the rods would rotate to the center very quick, ONLY IF the faces of
the pyramid were aligned with the cardinal points the rods would move, if the
faces were aligned with NE, SE, NW and SW, instead of N, S, E, W, the rods
wouldn't move.
To make the pyramid: Draw a circle on the cardboard. The radius of the circle
multiplied by 1,0517 (the radius + 5.17%) is the square base's side lenght.
With the base lenght draw four end to end chords on the circle and then draw
lines between the ends of the chords and the circle center, this lines will be
the edges of the pyramid that part from the square base corners and meet at the
top (circle center). The chords are the four bottom sides of the faces. The
four resulting triangles are the faces of your pyramid, no base needed. Then
cut out the drawing and bend by the edges to form the pyramid, it is wise to
leave an extra flip strip on one of the end faces to make the closing and
gluing of the pyramid easier and stronger.
CHORD: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secant_line
Sorry about Pyramid talk, back to Tower Talk :o)
73

David
HK1A
EC5KXA