Re: [TowerTalk] 80-m. Inverted Vee vs. Dipole Performance

To: <k2qmf@juno.com>, <kamham69@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80-m. Inverted Vee vs. Dipole Performance
From: "Jim McDonald" <jim@n7us.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 14:23:06 -0500
The half sloper has been popular for many years and has been described in
ARRL handbooks and antenna manuals.  I Googled and found some pictures at
http://www.dxzone.com/dx20445/80-m-sloper.html .  I use a HB bracket similar
to the one on that website, with an SO-239 mounted on it and the bracket
mounted to a leg of the tower.  You use only half the length (i.e., one leg)
of an inverted vee.

I have one for 75M that has a 5' extension with an alligator clip with an
insulator between them.  If I don't want to use an antenna tuner, I drop the
end of the antenna and clip on the 5' extension for 80M.

They can be frustrating to find the length that works at the desired
frequency, so start long.

Check out the ARRL Antenna Manual.

Jim N7US