Re: [TowerTalk] myth about engineers?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] myth about engineers?
From: Jeffrey Okamitsu <w3kl@w3kl.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 10:17:54 -0800 (PST)
In my career in pure research, R&D, and product design as well as leadership of
R&D, engineering, and product development, I have worked with scientists and
engineers that run the gamut from "it's never good enough..." to "the specs are
wrong..."  In my view and experience both extremes can and do have a place in
any NPD project.   What really determines success or failure of an NPD project
in this case is how the project team is led.  There are going to be times where
one needs to let the type who likes to push the envelope in
performance/cost/etc. and there's a time for the extreme pragmatist to be in
charge.

Proper leadership and vision with insure that a group of technical resources
with disparate temperaments and personalities will come together as a team
to conceive of, breadboard, and design a product that will meet expecations on
time and within budget.

73, Jeff
W3KL
 Jeffrey K. Okamitsu, PhD, MBA