Re: [TowerTalk] Temporary Guys

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Temporary Guys
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2011 09:01:20 -0400
On 4/3/2011 1:55 AM, Dick Green WC1M wrote:

<snip>

> I was confident that the 1/8" stainless guys were superior to rope

Well, there's rope, and then there's rope. Yes, the rope one might find
Home Depot is not useful for temporary guys, but there ARE low stretch
ropes which would be entirely suitable if tensioned adequately. A
professional might have some Kevlar core (or even better) temps in his
kit. I would be interested in knowing exactly what rope John was using.

<snip>

> I guess if I was a professional tower rigger, I would make up an assortment
> of different length temporary guys using either 1/4" wire rope or EHS.
> Turnbuckles, too.

In lieu of dedicated temporary guys, most crews use one of the already
prepared upper sets of guys (with Chicago grips and high quality cable
pullers) as temporaries as needed.

73,
-Steve K8LX