Re: [TowerTalk] Temporary Guys

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Temporary Guys
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2011 20:57:38 -0400
A number of scenarios might cause one to consider temp guys:

1) New tower using a pier pin base where you don't have access to a boom
truck to stand the first few sections up. You walk one or two sections
up and temporarily guy it to enable further stacking up to the first
permanent guy level.

2) Above the first guy level you might be the nervous type where you
want to steady each new section until reaching guy level #2. And so on.

Now most any quality tower is happy to be stacked up unguyed to the next
*engineered* guy level - but some folks are nervous....

3) You might be changing out guys on a heavily loaded tall tower, where
common sense (as opposed to nervousness) would DEMAND temporary guys to
complete the job safely.

4) You might be taking down a tower where the guys look a little dodgy.
Common sense would demand that you beef up the guy system temporarily
for safety reasons.

etc...

-Steve K8LX