Re: [TowerTalk] Temporary guys

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Temporary guys
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 22:18:30 -0400
My post shown below was in response K8RI's post regarding nylon rope.
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/Towertalk/2011-03/msg00471.html .
K8RI stated he had severe stretching in 24 hours when using nylon rope to
support a vertical antenna.  I said nothing in my post about using nylon
rope for temporary tower guys.  Actually for my pier pin installation, I
immediately installed the permanent guy wires after lifting the tower into
position with a crane.  In the tower guy example K8RI described below,  the
nylon rope would only stretch 10-15 feet if the temporary guy had zero
tension and then was subject to a 30% load (about 1200 pounds for 1/2"
rope).   This is a huge load change!  The original post by K7LXC
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/Towertalk/2011-03/msg00455.html
suggested a way to pre-tension the temporary guy ropes to minimize this
movement.

Nylon is resistant to sunlight damage.

John KK9A