Re: [TowerTalk] HDX-555 Tower Modification Feasibility

To: "Mike Ashby" <seabassm01@hotmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HDX-555 Tower Modification Feasibility
From: "Steve Jones" <n6sj@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 12:09:54 -0700
Mike-

I'm not a naysayer, but I'd have one simple question:  What would be inside
the fall radius of your newly designed tower?  If nothing you're worried
about, go for it, sounds cool!

One thing you might want to consider is whether you want all the antennas to
always point together at the same azimuth.  If not, you could plan separate
ring rotators like TIC Gens for the vaious antennas and forget rotating the
whole tower.  Also keep in mind, the downward force on a crank up tower
should never be increased by adding guy wires.  The extra downward force
could snap the raising cable.  If you have ten acres, would there be room to
put up several tilt-over 50-foot towers?  Might be simpler.

-Steve
N6SJ