Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu Rotator Refurbish?

To: towertalk@contesting.com, ka5rej@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu Rotator Refurbish?
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 14:01:17 EDT

In a message dated 4/10/2011 7:02:36 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I recently purchased a 80 ft freestanding tower with a  Yaesu G-2800SDX
Rotator which is still atop the tower and fully functional for  the last 10
years.
My question is what should I expect in terms of  preparation and
refurbishment of this particular Yaesu Rotator prior to  re-erecting the tower.
Any thoughts, comments, or personal experiences to  share?

    On the plus side, the Yaesu rotators seem to be  pretty reliable and
don't have any historical problems (see Hy-Gain/CDE  potential failures;
brake, pot, starting cap, etc.) that plague other  rotators.

    On the minus side, there aren't any places to  send them except the
factory and I don't know what their refurb policy  is.

    I would NEVER install a used rotator unless it  has been gone thru to
at least be re-greased and checked out. It's the weakest  link in the
antenna/tower system so you want to make sure you've got a good  one up there.

Cheers,
Steve      K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for hams