[TowerTalk] grease for rotators Re: Yaesu Rotator Refurbish?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] grease for rotators Re: Yaesu Rotator Refurbish?
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 14:44:13 -0700
On 4/10/11 2:04 PM, Grant Saviers wrote:
> I just rebuilt one of these.  Certainly the bearing races and balls need
> cleaned and regreased.  A synthetic grease that is TFE loaded is what I
> used - "Superlube" by Synco.  The rotator I rebuilt was stored outside

The amount of grease you're using is tiny, so cost or selection isn't a
big factor: use whatever you got.

But, this is a pretty non-rigorous, very light load application..
Probably any grease that's reasonably thick so it doesn't wash off would
work.  and it doesn't get very hot.  It's not like it's a wheel bearing
or the action for a semi-automatic gun.  You could probably lubricate it
with suet or lard and it would work.  If you're in a place where it gets
cold, that's probably the big factor.. making sure the grease doesn't
harden up too much.

I think the primary function of the lube in a rotator is making sure the
races and balls don't rust:  after all, the "bearing" anti-friction
function is done by the balls and races.