Re: [TowerTalk] >>Ameritron RCS-4 remote switch

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] >>Ameritron RCS-4 remote switch
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 17:09:30 -0400
On 4/16/2011 3:55 PM, Jon Casamajor wrote:
> Tony,
> I have used this switch since 1988 on my tower with various antennae.  I
> have had a couple of problems and learned a few lessons.   First, I have
> elected to mount the relay box at ground level so that if something goes
> wrong I don't have to crank down the who tower to trouble shoot. Not a big
> deal when I was younger but a big deal as I age.
> I have two systems. One has the power supply built into the station console.
> This was my original and still is in service today. The second one made by
> MFJ has an external wall wart.  Just a few weeks ago the wall wart failed
> and took out the RF Choke while it was at it. Parts were $12, fix was easy.
> That is why I have two.  BTW, the wall wart is 12V AC @1A, not DC so you can
> have trouble finding one rated for the 1A current.

If the "wall wart" is of standard voltage why both even using it.  I
wire mine right into the DC supply.
I do use the remote switches with wired control rather than the ones
that use the coax and decoding.  It's just a matter of preference but I
see the decoder as just one more thing to fail.  Likewise I mount the
remote switches near the bottom of the tower... Just out of reach so it
takes a step ladder or about a 5' climb. (just as a deterent)

73

Roger (K8RI)