[TowerTalk] Help with fixing a leaning tower (NOT Pisa)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Help with fixing a leaning tower (NOT Pisa)
From: "Arthur Bernstein" <abernstein@bramsonort.edu>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 13:17:18 -0400
Hello to all,

I have a Hy Gain HG-52 SS 52 foot crankup. It's been up for a number of
years. The concrete base is as per specs. 42" on a side and about 5'6" deep
with about 6 more inches of concrete above the ground.

The problem  is the tower is leaning due to the apparent settling of the
concrete base on one side. The base is near the rear of my house and is
leaning away from the house. For those not familiar with this tower and its
base, it uses 3 "dog ear" type mounts that are attached to a rebar cage
imbedded in the concrete. Each of the "ears" has two holes that are mated to
the similar dog ears on the bottom of the tower. The base is very similar to
the Tri Ex bases, such as for the W-51.

A few years ago, a friend re plumbed the tower by redrilling some of the
holes in the dog ears and welding new nuts onto it, thus making the tower
vertical. It seems that the ground behind my home is not as stable as I had
thought, over 20 years ago (unfortunately.) We have run out of room on the
dog ears to redrill to plumb the tower.

Any suggestions? My rear yard is not that large, so abandoning the base and
putting in a new one is really not an option.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

73,

Art., N2KA

n2ka@verizon.net