Re: [TowerTalk] Help with fixing a leaning tower (NOT Pisa)

To: Arthur Bernstein <abernstein@bramsonort.edu>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Help with fixing a leaning tower (NOT Pisa)
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 13:06:15 -0700
You don't mention the ear orientations but if you tilted the tower up on
installation one would think the matched pair of ears are away from the
house and the single is towards the house.  I assume the tower can be
tilted, otherwise a crane will be needed.

You could make steel plates of appropriate thickness and length (5/8 x 4
x 14"?) to bolt to the foundation ears and extend the bolt pattern the
right length to the tower ears so the tower is plumb.  These would
offset the tower the thickness of the plates, but that is so minor to
not matter.  You'd gain about a half foot of height for more DX!

You also might consider the prevailing wind conditions and the fact that
wind is accelerated over the house, increasing the load.  After the
tower is plumb is it practical to add some stabilization with a house
bracket to the top of the bottom section?

Grant  KZ1W