[TowerTalk] update: grounding questions: Ufer, strap, exothermic welds

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] update: grounding questions: Ufer, strap, exothermic welds
From: Mat Eshpeter <kk1c@live.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 21:33:51 -0400
An update on this thread and a new question or two:

Seems to be pretty well agreed that connecting the rebar to the tower and
radials is a good thing. The potential damage to concrete is attributed to poor
installation technique.

I am confused about the preference for copper wire over strap for use as a
buried ground radial to interconnect ground rods, given the much lower
inductance of strap; it may be that the longevity of a big piece of buried wire
outweighs the lower inductance benefit of comparatively thinner buried strap?

I called a couple of electrical supply shops today. They seem to be in
disbelief that anyone would use solid 2/0 copper wire for anything; one guy
claimed I would only be able to bend this size solid wire with the same
equipment used to bend conduit or pipe. Does anyone actually use 2/0 solid
copper for grounding? If so, what is your experience regarding bending /
handling this wire?

I have delayed my tower base pour for another week while I figure out the final
details of my ground strategy. I do appreciate the help offered by all those
that have taken the time to respond to this thread.

73,
Mat
KK1C