Re: [TowerTalk] grounding quesitons: Ufer, strap, exothermic welds

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] grounding quesitons: Ufer, strap, exothermic welds
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 11:06:57 -0700
Again??  Seriously?  That myth has been debunked so many times, both
here and elsewhere, that I can't believe people are still perpetuating
it.  I've issued this challenge several times before and nobody has ever
responded ... please quote one single URL or technical document that
describes a verified instance where lighting passing through a proper
Ufer ground , or any conductive element inside a buried concrete
structure whatsoever, cracked the concrete.  You'll find instances where
a direct lightning hit to the OUTSIDE of a block of concrete caused
damage (buildings, bridge abutments, etc), but not via a Ufer system of
sufficient size and construction.

Check out the I.C.E. technical note on the subject if you don't believe
me.  It's not difficult to find on their website ... it even uses the
word "myth" in the subject title.

Besides ... just think about it for a second.  There are thousands of
tower installations with a tower base buried in the concrete.  What
would be the difference, other than beneficial spreading of the current,
if the tower was also properly connected to the rebar cage?

Lastly, connecting the tower to the rebar cage is REQUIRED by most
zoning regulations.

I'm honestly curious why certain urban legends, like this one, seem to
have such staying power in ham radio.  I suspect it's because the
purported consequences sound dramatic even if they happen to be totally
unfounded.  The more likely they are to fire up our emotional responses
(fear, indignation, surprise, etc) the more likely they are to be
believed ... and worse, passed on to others.  Most of the stuff on
Snopes is like that.  If you want to create an immortal misconception,
be outrageous about it.

Dave   AB7E