Re: [TowerTalk] grounding quesitons: Ufer, strap, exothermic welds

To: Dick Green WC1M <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] grounding quesitons: Ufer, strap, exothermic welds
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 14:45:28 -0700
>From http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/electrode-potential-d_482.html

Metal                   Ev
-----                  ----

Aluminum               -1.67

Zinc                   -0.76

Iron                   -0.44

Nickel                 -0.24

Copper                 +0.34

and

"Metals which are higher in the electrochemical series displace metals
which are lower in the sequence, which means when connecting two metals
the metal with lowest potential will corrode."

Corrosion is accelerated in the presence of moisture and ionic
contaminants so it depends upon your particular conditions, but it looks
like a questionable practice to me.  There is almost as much voltaic
differential between aluminum and zinc (galvanizing) as there is between
copper and zinc, and there is of course a huge difference between copper
and aluminum.  Then again, it's the aluminum clamp that would take the
abuse, and they would be the easiest to replace.  I just question the
integrity of the connection.

I'm light years away from being on expert on any of that, though, so
maybe somebody more knowledgeable could weigh in and comment.

73,
Dave   AB7E