Re: [TowerTalk] Complex Guying Question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Complex Guying Question
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 22:32:27 -0400
On 5/9/2011 5:06 PM, Grant Saviers wrote:
> Your "problem" (not sure you have one) is the difference in stretch of
> the Phillystran vs EHS.  Adding more tension to the Philly helps that a
> bit, but at the cost of a lot more column load on the tower.  Doubling
> the Philly or going up a size yields less stretch and in what the tower
> can stand for wind load.

Phillystran is ...well a bit flexible (no pun intended) and it's light
weight. But that would be like using oversize EHS on the tower.  At
least you are not adding the extra weight of 1/4" EHS.

You might want to look up the max rated wind load for basically 100' of
properly guyed 25G.

Second, by using different materials at different levels there is the
possibility of unexpected mechanical resonances. Unlikely, but not an
impossibility.

I would not under any circumstances exceed 10% of the "weakest link's"
(3/16ths EHS in this case) breaking strength with the pretension.

> Take a look at the K7NV analysis of tower guys - it is very instructive
> about what is going on in a tower with mixed guy materials at
> http://wiki.contesting.com/index.php/Guyed_tower_study    That analysis
> shows that your pier pin base is a real plus.

I agree the pier pin is a real plus, but I've been on a 100' 45G guyed
with HPTG6500?  with a far greater wind load in winds gusting to 30 and
could feel no movement.
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/Tower29.htm  That's not much fun
even on a solid tower, let along one moving close to 3 feet. I have been
on towers that did move around less than that with very little wind and
it'd definitely noticeable.

73

Roger (K8RI)