Re: [TowerTalk] Complex Guying Question

To: markrob@mindspring.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Complex Guying Question
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 06:57:29 EDT

In a message dated 5/10/2011 6:52:28 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
markrob@mindspring.com writes:

>  I read that if your guy anchors are out more than the  prescribed min of
70%
of the height then you can drop the 10% guy loading  figure to around 8%,
Would you care to comment on  that?

         I haven't heard that  before but I'm not an engineer so I don't
know if that's true or not.

        Changing the guy  tension two-per-cent from 10 to 8% may not even
be relevant since most  people don't take ambient temperature into account
when tensioning guys. There  is a scale of tensions per temperature - I think
the figures stated for normal  tension are for 70 degrees F or something
similar. Cold wx guy shrinkage  and hot wx stretch make a difference. And it
might be tough to get accurate  micro measurements anyway.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH