Re: [TowerTalk] zapped with my dipole. OUCH!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] zapped with my dipole. OUCH!
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 16:53:01 -0400
> Disconnecting & grounding the ladderline outside the shack, during a
> storm,
> is your best line of defense. If this is not easy/possible, at least
> ground
> the ladderline during a storm using a knifeswitch...

Or, create a knife switch with a pair of vacuum relays outside the house
entry.  I use Jennings 75 amp relays, automatically powered from my remote
antenna tuner.  The relays can be configured to close when the shack is
active, and open when QRT.

Other combinations of vacuum relays would allow you to open the line into
the shack and simultaneously short the line outside the shack.  I've not
done the latter as I would rather just let the wire float in the air,
completely unterminated instead of inducing a current path to ground.  I
realize that an inch or two of vacuum may not mean much with lightning since
it may travel a mile through the air to reach the earth.  But so far, so
good in my Florida climate.

Paul, W9AC