Re: [TowerTalk] Discharge with a dipole

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Discharge with a dipole
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 10:30:30 -0700
On 5/15/11 8:43 AM, Tommy Alderman wrote:
> Sorry - but I just have to ask this: Please explain how the other side of the
> 'dirty'
> insulator finds ground to discharge the static build up?
>
> Tom - W4BQF

usually, it's connected to something else that is also dirty (rope) or a
conductor (e.g. wire) or something..  In the case of the
dipole/balun/coax, then the leakage path is on the surface of the balun
to the shield.

It doesn't take much to have a leakage path that will bleed off static.

If it gets below freezing, though, or you're out in the desert where
it's very dry, then you're more likely to need something extra.  (dry
blowing snow or dust can deposit an amazing amount of charge pretty
quickly... lots of documented stories back in the telegraph days of
steady arcs from the lines to ground)