Re: [TowerTalk] zapped with my dipole. OUCH!

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] zapped with my dipole. OUCH!
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 21:44:54 -0400
On 5/14/2011 4:40 PM, K0DAN wrote:

IMO Grounding the transmission like during storms is more important than
disconnecting it, not that the line shouldn't be disconnected. I just
rate the grounding at a higher priority, particularly if the feedline
into the shack can not be separated by a substantial distance from the
point where it's disconnected.  IOW, if you disconnect it, throw it out
the window.

An antenna and feed line left floating (ungrounded) can develop a very
high, and dangerous potential even without lightening.  The typical
strike a mile away can induce as much as a 1000 volts per meter into
that antenna and feed line. If it's floating, there is no way for it to
bleed off safely.  Grounded the precipitation static can not build up
and the induced charge is rapidly bled off.

All antennas here are at DC ground.  The tower has taken at least 17
strikes since it was put up, yet I've had no damage to antennas or
equipment since installing a good/elaborate ground system.

73

Roger (K8RI)