Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Leasing

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Leasing
From: "wa3gin" <wa3gin@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 09:02:56 -0400
Just talk to the vendor.  Typically, they will take care of everything, the
meetings with the civic association (if you have one), the county board will
have to approve the placement (most likely). These companies have been doing
this for years.  They have qualified legal and engineering personnel and
consultants that will address every imaginable issue.  It makes no sense to
guess when you can sit down with them and learn from them exactly what they
want and what their experience has been in your area.

MY contribution to the anecdotal data stream is in my county AT&T wanted to
install a 190ft mono-pole to improve coverage in a under served area of the
county. They located the owner of the property that they considered ideal.
They had installed other towers in the county so they were very well
informed of the government approval process. There were several open
hearings and plenty of yahoos who were against the installation...one guy
claimed there would be more traffic accidents because with better coverage
there would be more teen texting while driving... its all on the Internet if
you want to listen to the hearings. It was front page news in the county for
a few months. At the end of the day the request was approved. The owner of
the property will receive about $1200 a month, the county has attachment
rights for Public Safety antennas, the tower will accept up to five carriers
and the fenced in area will have shrubs and plantings surrounding the
facility. That county Public Safety attachment rights gets our repeater
another location for a remote receiver ;-).

SO, if you are serious about this opportunity then talk to the
vendor...there is very little you'll have to do except if you want speak at
the hearing as an advocate for the installation.

Good Luck...wish AT&T would offer me a deal. I'd take it in a heart beat.

Dave
Wa3gin

The County was King George County, VA