Re: [TowerTalk] Terrain data for HFTA

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Terrain data for HFTA
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 14:55:06 -0700
Using the Radio Mobile program, I found the SRTM 1 arcsecond elevation
data to match very well with GPS readings I took in the high desert area
just north of Los Angeles (to within a few feet typically). The 1
arcsecond data set has a pixel size of about 30 meters x 30 meters, so
for any given pixel the reported elevation is the average of the
elevation over that pixel. For gently sloped terrain this average
elevation should be a very good approximation. In areas where the
elevation changes rapidly over the pixel area, there will be more
disagreement between the elevation reported in the SRTM data and the
actual elevation. IIRC the requirement on the SRTM instrument was 16
meter absolute elevation accuracy and 10 meter relative accuracy, but
the folks I recall talking to who worked on the instrument were elated
that the performance was typically much better than the minimum
requirements.

73, Mike W4EF