Re: [TowerTalk] 1/4 slopers & Radials

To: "K8RI on TT" <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 1/4 slopers & Radials
From: "Gene Fuller" <w2lu@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 21:45:25 -0400
Hi Ed -

If we're collecting antidotal evidence - I use 160m quarterwave slopers (140
feet) fed at the top of a 100 foot tower and also, for general purposes,
have six 100 foot raised radials around the base of the tower. The 160m
quarterwave slopers are also 80m reflectors working with my three 80m bent
vertical dipoles. I have three wires up there and can pick one at a time or
leave all three floating (on 80 m). On 160m I didn't try to tweak the
antenna to a good SWR, I just inserted a  little L network in the feedline
at the base of the tower. The results have been very good (on 80 and 160).
The biggest problem is that when running 1.5 KW I can be heard much better
than I can hear. I'm listening on a pair of phased pennants (selectable in
four directions) - no room for beverages. (But then, You've already got
"EAR" 's.)

My guess is that a few raised radials, especially right under the slopers,
might be good.

Good luck with your project.

Gene / W2LU