Re: [TowerTalk] 1/4 slopers & Radials

To: "K8RI on TT" <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 1/4 slopers & Radials
From: "Mark Robinson" <markrob@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 11:08:45 -0400
I have an Alpha Delta sloper ( the 40m, 80, 160m version with two sloping
wires and a coil on the 40m/160m wire) set at the 72 foot level on my 86
foot Rohn 45 tower. I have an Optibeam OB-11 at 87 1/2 feet. Six feet above
that is a 7 element 6m beam and 6 feet above that is a 2m 12 element beam.
I haven't done a lot with this antenna but it has performed fairly well
compared to my other well functioning wire antennas. The sloper is resonant
around 3.6MHz but I normally tune with an antenna tuner as I haven't taken
the time to achieve resonance on the other bands yet. I have found that it
works well on 30m with the tuner. I was able to work Europe on 160 one
spring night which was a first for me. I suspect that I was hearing stations
better than they were hearing me but that is just surmise. I am going to try
adding radials this winter for 160m. I may remove the coil and turn it into
a full size wire (132 foot wire) for 160m as I will soon have a 40m four
square in operation and I don't think that I will require the 40m part of
my sloper.

In summary so far I have been pleased with the sloper. Sometimes it
outperforms my G5RV and dipoles on 40m and 80m. An interesting comment I
received on 80m ssb from a G station was that I was clearer on the sloper
than the G5RV but about the same strength. I will have to follow that up
this season. I have the sloper pulled out to about 180 feet from the base of
the tower. I will have to take some real measurements.

Mark N1UK