Re: [TowerTalk] 45g Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, <starrose444@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 45g Tower
From: "Stan Stockton" <stan@aqity.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 08:08:47 -0500
Bob,

All this is just opinion:

I suggest that you consider putting up one tower and making it about 85
feet tall.  There would be four fewer holes to dig, fill with anchors,
concrete, etc.  You would only need two sets of guy wires (same as what
you were planning except all on one tower) and whatever you will put up
will be overall better at that height than at 35 feet.  You would have
the option of antennas at lower heights either fixed in one direction or
rotating with a side arm.

Unless you are on top of a hill with a steep drop off near the tower,
where an antenna may actually work better at 40 feet than at 80 feet,
the elevation above sea level makes little difference except for its
relation to surrounding area and line of sight communications.  In other
words someone on a little 100 foot hill surrounded by sea level is in a
much better location than someone on flat land for miles in every
direction at 2000 feet elevation.

As far as the base is concerned I think 5 feet deep is way overkill.
For a guyed tower, all you are trying to do is keep the thing from
sinking.  Check the source who said 5 feet is needed and see what they
say about 3 feet versus 5 feet.

Stan, K5GO