Re: [TowerTalk] 45g Tower

To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 45g Tower
From: "Larry" <lknain@nc.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 14:45:13 -0400
What we need is a "Steppir" tower.

In the 1980's I operated at a station with stacked yagis. We could often
open 20M early with all three yagis connected. But as time went on the
propagation would change and our QSO rate would begin to drop. Switching
to just the top two would help, then to the bottom two, then just the top
antenna,
the middle one, and finally to just the bottom antenna as the propagation
changed
would keep the QSO rate up. Antenna height is definitely a factor.
Regardless
of the configuration we were able to work non-optimal hop stations. Unless
you are trying to build the ultimate contest antenna system one just has to
pick
a height and understand that some areas will take more effort to work than
others.

At my current QTH I had a short temporary tower with a tribander at about 27
feet.
It worked very well into the Carribean, Western Europe, and Western Africa
from the
East Coast. When I switched to a 100 foot tower with the tribander at 100.5
feet it
became much harder to work the Carribean and Western Europe. The antenna
is probably too high for the best paths to the Carribean and Western Europe
but it is
usable.

73, Larry   W6NWS