Re: [TowerTalk] Ameritron RCS-4 question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ameritron RCS-4 question
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 23:11:05 -0400
On 9/27/2011 10:45 PM, Al Kozakiewicz wrote:
> I have a lifetime supply of 70's vintage TTL.  Until I discovered the PIC, I
> probably would have done what you suggest with a BCD decoder chip.

You can't get more simple than that. I say that as I used to build BDC
encoders and decoders with relay drivers.

> I personally think the Arduino is an oddball device,

Never heard of it.

>   though it is open source and already assembled.  The PIC has a very large
> user base and the basic IDE and assembler are free.  Supported high level
> languages like C and VB

C just barely makes it out of low level. Of course today's C comes in
many levels and flavors. We used to call C a "write only"  language as
it was more difficult to read than assembler.

>   are not free. For simple combinatorial logic and sequencing, I found the
> assembler sufficiently easy to learn.

The problem is finding a compiler that will work with the device.

> At any rate, unlike the Arduino, a PIC based decoder can be made for less
> than $10 in parts and the parts count would be about the same as the hard
> wired BCD circuit.  You'll need a couple extra parts if you're going to use
> the digial inputs that are shared with the programming pins on some devices.
> Adding support for both Icom and Kenwood in addition to the Yaesu BCD would
> involve only software changes.
>
> IMO, and I have no special knowledge of QSTs editorial policy, a PIC based
> programmable device would have more publishing appeal based on the
> opportunity to teach new technology than the hard wired circuit.
More hams would likely be familiar with them than would know Boolean
algebra.<:-))

> Since I got beyond the hump in the learning curve, I'll never go back to hard
> wired logic even for simple circuits.

For "out in the field" I much prefer hard wired logic than anything with
programming, mainly due to static, RFI, and lightning.  OTOH I chose
hard wired, direct control for all of my remote switching.  Due to all
the switching I did not want control signals on any of the coax cables.
Actually it'd be difficult in my case to get control signals through the
coax all the way to the remote switches.

> To give you an idea of the range and power, the ARI-500 auto band switcher
> for the Ameritron AL-500 and ALS-600 amplifiers and the MFJ-259B analyzer are
> both PIC based designs. The essence of the ARI-500 is functionally identical
> to what you are trying to accomplish.

73

Roger (K8RI)