Re: [TowerTalk] Ameritron RCS-4 question

To: jimlux@earthlink.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ameritron RCS-4 question
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 09:13:15 -0400 (EDT)
Hearing and seeing a relay close is reassuring. That aspect is lost with
solid state switches.

A relay is very tolerant of voltage levels, current, and polarity. A
bulletproof device if there ever was such a thing.

Use of three relays allows close duplication of the original control
circuit. One for +, one for -, one for both and none for the default state.
Only
one relay at a time needs to be operated making the control logic quite
straight  forward.

KISS works for me!

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 9/28/2011 7:47:12 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
jimlux@earthlink.net writes:

On  9/28/11 5:20 AM, Charlie Gallo wrote:

> The BIGGEST issue, parts  wise. is the RCS-4 isn't using logic levels
> inside, the control  signals are 1/2 wave AC+, 1/2 wave AC-, full wave
> AC, and None (think  of each 1/2 wave of the AC as a bit) - and it's
> NOT really that well  regulated, and you DO need to pass the power to
> pull the remote relays  - this pretty much means NOT using a solid
> state device to do this,  but small signal relays (use double pole,
> and you can use the 2nd pole  for the front panel LEDs)  The problem
> is, looking at Mouser,  you're gonna end up paying about $3/relay, and
> you need at LEAST 3 (if  not 4, and make it easier for the unwashed
> masses to  understand)

You only need 2 relays at most. (at least to  actuate the remote relays)

A pair of SCRs? (and some diodes) I haven't  had my coffee yet, so I
can't think of how you'd arrange to get them  biased corectly.

A triac, with the gate pulse timed right after the  zero  crossing.