Re: [TowerTalk] Using Gmail for Mail Lists

To: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Using Gmail for Mail Lists
From: Larry McDavid <lmcdavid@lmceng.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 19:38:36 -0700
I did not propose to use Thunderbird with Gmail. I'd dump Gmail and use
a POP email server with Thunderbird as a local client.

I would like to know if there is a way to set an option on Gmail to have
it *not* dump an inbound mail just because its serial number matches an
email originated from that user. I've been telling list members that the
Gmail problem is insoluble; I'd rather explain how to solve it. BUT, I'd
much rather not have to explain it at all.

Frankly, I see no reason Gmail should take this action on emails sent to
TowerTalk or any other email list. I've used Thunderbird on TowerTalk
for many years and always see emails I've sent to the group.

If anyone has further explanations on this topic, please reply to me
off-list as this discussion is not on-topic.

Larry

On 10/15/2011 10:43 AM, Steve Maki wrote:
> The use of an email client does not solve the gmail problem though,
> which I know you know. In fact a properly threaded client like
> Thunderbird, when used with lists via gmail, is especially exasperating
> because you can not see where you entered a (long) thread, which is
> otherwise displayed beautifully minus your own posts. I can't see why
> anyone would prefer it that way...
>
> -Steve K8LX
>
> On 10/15/2011 1:36 PM, Larry McDavid wrote:
>
>> I am not a fan of web mail in any form and of Gmail in particular
>> because it causes me to explain this problem to so many members of Yahoo
>> Groups I manage.
>>
>> If, indeed, there is a way to defeat this "feature" within Gmail itself,
>> I am unaware of it and not a single individual reporting the problem has
>> ever replied to me that he solved the problem.
>>
>> I do advocate the use of a local email client, such as Thunderbird,
>> instead of any form of web mail.

Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB
Anaheim, CA  (20 miles southeast of Los Angeles, near Disneyland)