Re: [TowerTalk] Bazooka antenna

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bazooka antenna
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 09:24:35 +0000
Tom,

Wanted signals are EM waves; noise signals are also EM waves. I wonder
what characteristic of a Double Bazooka might allow it to distinguish
wanted EM waves from unwanted ones in a way that a conventional dipole
can't. As you might gather, I'm sceptical :)

Measurements and modelling confirm that it DOES have a slightly wider
VSWR bandwidth than a wire dipole - partly because of the loss in the
stubs, and partly because it's constructed from "fatter" conductors. You
could probably achieve the same bandwidth enhancement, without the
mechanical complexity, by putting a resistor in parallel with the
feedpoint of a conventional dipole.

73,
Steve G3TXQ